I came cross poet and author Maya Angelou’s talk about self-worth and cynical. I have never read anything so simple yet so sharp about these two topics. I know my own self worth, but sometimes people’s words and their look make you unhappy. Now I know the truly powerful way to demonstrate your self worth.
MAYA ANGELOU: When you know you are of worth — not asking it but knowing it — you walk into a room with a particular power. When you know you are of worth, you don’t have to raise your voice. You don’t have to become rude. You don’t have to become vulgar. You just are, and you are like the sky is, as the air is, the same way water is wet. It doesn’t have to protest.
It’s easy to become cynical after seeing so many manipulative people in this world. Sometime, you really want to shut your door to the outside world and seek your exclusive refuge in your own small world. You think it’s safe. Today, Maya Angelou’s words make me think from different perspective. She said the sad truth about cynical is that it makes you from knowing nothing to believe nothing.
MAYA ANGELOU: You know, it is said that the young people have become cynical. Darlings, let me tell you something. One of the saddest things in the world is to see a cynical young person because it means that he and she have gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing. It is so sad.
I like read other people’s wisdom. Here are some of my favourite from Maya Angelou:
- “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
- “Nothing will work unless you do.”
- “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.”
- “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- “Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances.”
- “While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated.”